Klein led the masterplanning, health planning and interior architecture as part of the project team on the Burwood Hospital Redevelopment.
The expansion has 29,400m² of new building area, and includes:
- 230 new inpatient beds
- 1100m² radiology department with 160m² shell for future expansion
- 2500m² outpatient and procedural area
- 2400m² clinical administration and community teams area
- new main entry atrium with information centre, retail and cafeteria
- new kitchen and back of house support areas
Burwood Hospital is a specialist rehabilitation hospital and the new inpatient accommodation provides:
- general older adults assessment treatment and rehabilitation wards
- a specialist stroke ward
- adult rehabilitation ward catering for brain injury and under 65 rehabilitation
- two psychiatric services for the elderly catering for dementia and other mental health conditions
This project was completed in association with Jasmax and Sheppard & Rout. Silver Thomas Hanley provided internal Peer Review.